12 Jun Hey, that’s MY information
This week, we’ve already used the title Good Morning. You’ve been hacked. Yet, again this morning, we are greeted with the amazing news that ALL US federal employees, past and present, have had their personal information stolen. The government did not encrypt Social Security numbers. Face palm. So, here are some habits you need to start. Today.
- Use a service such as 1Password to manage your passwords and change them frequently.
- Set up 2-step login verification on everything – social media, banking, etc.
- Take advantage of the annual free credit reports you are entitled to, make yourself a not on your calendar and do it every year. (You don’t need your credit score or anything else they try to sell you, just get the free report.)
- Set up alerts on your bank and credit card accounts.
- Check and balance those accounts weekly.
Yes, you should be appalled your information wasn’t protected. And yes, you are going to have to take care of yourself. Quit waiting for someone else to do it – or – for another breach. Set up these protections now. Even if you never worked for the US government! And, let us know what else you would add to this list below.
Greetings from New Orleans…
Staying in my friend’s apartment in The Quarter in New Orleans. She has just started a business and I’m sleeping in the middle of it. Ooooh, I do so love an entrepreneur. And, I taught her how to use Square. Now she can sell more NOLA bags and take more money from customers like me. We set it up in minutes. Use the YDST Square link here – and get free processing on your first $1000 in business. We’ve used Square since its inception and can’t praise it enough. Make it easy for customers to give you money! Here.
*Need 2-step verification help? Go to YouTube and type in How to set up 2-step verification on (account here) – you will most likely find a video that will guide you through the process. Here’s one on setting up 2-step verification on Apple: